Friday, March 23, 2012

Imagine that Voice


Thanks to a radio network manager who suggested, and a friend who provided the tickets, that we pursue going to the NRB (National Religious Broadcasters) Convention held in Nashville. It was an incredible time with loads of strategic connections and divine appointments. We met new friends and renewed old friendships. It was perfect for me since my eyesight is impaired, but I knew those radio voices!

One afternoon Tony and I sat in a coffee shop waiting for our next business appointment. The man behind me had a familiar voice but I could not place it. Finally, we met each other. He said, “I hope you are not disappointed in how I look since you might have imagined something different from the radio.” I laughed and said, “I am your new best friend. You look like you have lost weight and are very buff. Your hair looks great and that color is awesome on you.” He began to laugh too when he realized I was visually impaired. He said,  “We were meant to meet each other.”

Isn’t it true about radio personalities when you meet them in person? I often want to close my eyes and say, “I liked what I had imagined.” Someday I want to write a book entitled, “Is That What You Really Look Like?”

Unfortunately, we judge others by what they look like and hardly hear what they have to say. I think it is just as disappointing to meet a beauty queen and then hear her shrill voice. Remember the gal on the movie “Singing In The Rain?” What about the muscle guy with the high-pitched voice and the short coach with the roaring yell? Sometimes I think it is a gift not to see.

I tell people that I am not moved by how you look; what you drive; the jewelry you have on or don’t; you’re clothing or the status you wear. I am moved by two things only—your attitude and your smell. Sometimes both of those stink!

Good news! Both can be improved.

No comments: